The land now known as Master Park has been used for recreation since the late 19th century. By 1920 the area had become known as the Recreation Ground “The Rec” because the Hoskins Masters family had allowed local people to use it for that purpose. In 1923 this use was formalised by Charles Hoskins Master, who executed a trust deed establishing that the “said piece or parcel of land should be laid out and reserved forever hereafter for the healthy recreation and amusement of the inhabitants of the Parish of Oxted and their friends.”
Under the terms of the deed, the trustees could enclose and layout the park in such manner as they thought fit and proper.
They could plant trees, provide and fix seats and benches, make shrubberies, borders and beds for plants, pleasure grounds, walks, paths and ways. They could make sports pitches for football, cricket and hockey; lawns and courts of any description for tennis, bowls, badminton, croquet or any other games; and set apart playgrounds for children. They could erect and maintain buildings in connection with the games and amusements and an entrance lodge for the residence of a park keeper. They were permitted to make reasonable charges for the use of any portion of the ground or any buildings thereon for any sport or game. Master Park maybe let for the use of travelling shows, circuses, roundabouts, swing-boats, shooting galleries, coconut shies and such like entertainments to assist the funds necessary for maintenance and upkeep of the park. The park may not be used for religious services or for political meetings or any propaganda purposes.